If you fancy dipping your toe into a dining experience with a difference, then we might have found the perfect place for you. The BBQ Lamb KL Kemensah serves its food at tables tucked in a riverbed.
Reasons to like this restaurant
- It’s different and memorable making it perfect for a family gathering, celebration or just to while away a couple of hours talking to friends.
- Each reservation last for two hours, so the kids can splash around after they have eaten. They will also be too scared to bring their devices, in case they fall in the river.
- It’s really near Zoo Negara, so you could come and cool off after checking out the animals or if you’ve outgrown the zoo, then there is an ATV place just across the road called Jom ATV. You can find the location here in google maps.
Not surprisingly it can get hot in the river, even when your feet are feeling fabulous in the cool water, so a hat would be a good idea. But if you forget yours don’t worry, they do provide some rather fetching straw ones.
We chose the meat platter that cost RM170 for four people and a large vegetarian platter for RM35. This also came with watermelon, as well as my kids’ favourite cendol and a exceedingly sweet free flow of soft drinks. So bring your own water if that’s not your cup of tea, as no other drinks were on offer.
Things you should know before you go
- They are only open at weekends. You can usually book a table starting at 10am until 8pm, but during Ramadan they don’t open until 12 noon. They will also be closed 30 April to 12 May 2022 for Hari Raya.
- Don’t turn up without a reservation. We made that mistake last time we went and after a one hour wait we hit a new level of hot and hangry, previously not seen in our family and ended up having lunch in a mall not too far away.
- You will need to pay a RM100 deposit at the time of booking, which is then discounted from your final bill on the day. If you need to rearrange your booking you have one year to do so.
- The parking area is limited, so don’t arrive at the last minute.
The kids can wear swim things and I recommend adults wear something that dries quickly too. After all, wet denim is no one’s idea of fun. We had to walk over a rickety bridge to get to our table, so it would not be ideal for those in wheelchairs or those who who have difficulty walking, like me with my broken toe.
How to book and where to find it
The restaurant can be found about a ten minute drive past Zoo Negara at Jalan Taman Zooview, Kampung Kemensah, 68000, Ampang, Selangor. You can book via Whatsapp on 012 211 4100. Photos of the food on offer as well as more information about the restaurant itself can be found on the restaurant’s FB page here and on Instagram.
When we visited the restaurant it had been affected by floods and was looking a little rough around the edges. If you are prepared to overlook the fact it is not perfect, you will enjoy yourself knowing that you don’t have to be embarrassed if your children have made a mess of this particular restaurant floor, as all the evidence is quickly washed away!
If you would like to burn some calories after your sumptuous meal, take the family for a hike to the nearby Elephant Wallow Waterfalls. More info here!