Sunway Lagoon is a huge theme park next to the equally huge Sunway Pyramid shopping centre. It is mostly known for the water park, although there are rides and even a small zoo.
We have been putting off going for years, waiting for the kids to grow enough to be able to go on most rides. Now that the youngest one has hit the magical 110 cm limit, we decided to get splashing. Unfortunately the brand new Nickelodeon Themed Land was not yet open, but it looks fantastic!
Highlights of the water park
Vuvuzela, the world’s largest vortex water slide, was the favourite of everyone!
Near the Vuvuzela there are few other water slides – mat racer Congo Challenge and twister slides African Pythons and Cameroon Climb – that are all suitable for those over 110 cm.
WaterPlexx 5D was actually a pretty cool experience – in both senses of the word. Kids loved it but adults found the combination of wet swimsuits, cold water sprayed at you randomly and blasting air con not so pleasurable.
Lazy river – you need to rent a tube to use in the pools and lazy river.
For the little ones they have two play areas with slides and climbing stuff.
Then there are the wave pools and a huge sandy beach. The waves come on at certain hours, that can be found on the website. Body boarding and surfing times are in the late afternoon, so we didn’t try either.
Once you’ve had enough of the water park, get changed and head over to the dry rides. We had read bad reviews of the zoo online and are not fans of animals in small cages anyway, so skipped that part altogether. There are few decent rides in the park, but it is obviously a side-kick for the water park.
Highlights of the Sunway Lagoon theme park
Lost City of Gold roller coaster doesn’t look like much, but is actually quite thrilling, although short. Luckily us parents tried it first ourselves: we thought it was not very suitable for young kids, thanks to one “head-chopper” hill and the fact that you are only held down by a loose fitting lap bar.
Grand Canyon River Rapids is a great family ride with lots of bumping and splashing in round rafts.
There is a kids’ area in the amusement park with a few staple kiddies’ rides. It is great for young kids and ours loved it, but overall the amusement park may be a bit lame for older kids and teenagers.
The zombie wondering around the Scream Park entrance and in the parade scared the world out of some of the kids, so if you have sensitive ones, keep an eye out for those zombies.We did not go to the Scream Park or the Extreme Park since our kids are still young.
You can read more on the top 10 rides at Sunway Lagoon here.
Tips for visiting Sunway Lagoon
- Buy your tickets online to save a few Ringgit. Remember to print out your voucher. MyKad holders enjoy special rates.
- Top up your wrist band when getting your tickets to rent lockers and tubes and buy food and drink.
- The lockers are not very spacious so don’t bring massive bags.
- The dress policy is not strict and you can swim in t-shirts and shorts.
- Get there early and start with the water park, it seems to get busier in the afternoon while the rides in the amusement park are quieter.
- There are fast food chains like Burger King and Marrybrown, and a few Asian food options in the park.
- Extreme park activities are not included in the entrance fee.
- Limited options for kids under 110 cm: there are two play areas with slides and the surf beach is perfect for playing, but be prepared to split into teams if there are older kids wanting to do rides.
We had a fantastic family day out in Sunway Lagoon and there were enough rides to keep us busy for a day – and one day was enough to experience the stuff that we wanted to do. Kids that have passed the 110 cm marker will get the most out of the day.