Easy Snack Bakes: Oatmeal Jam Bars
I am always on the look out for easy after-school snack ideas for my kids, both savoury and sweet. This one falls under sweet but, because of the oats, I feel I’m feeding my kids something a tad bit healthier than the go-to chocolate chip cookie (of course, I am in total denial of the sugar + butter content). This is a one-bowl, mixer not required, dump and mix recipe with the right balance of chewy and crumbly. The best part is it’s done in a jiffy and so delicious, especially with a glass of milk.
Now, excuse me while I have another piece before the kids arrive from school!
1-1/2 cups or 190 grams flour
1/2 cup or or 100 grams brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional, just an added flavour dimension)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup or 113 grams melted butter
3/4 cup or 68 g rolled oats + 1/4 cup or 23 grams quick cook oats (this combination seems to add to the chewiness but you can also simply use 1 cup or 91 grams of rolled oats)
3/4 cup or 9 tablespoons fruit jam of choice (I used strawberry for these)
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
2. Line and grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
IN A LARGE BOWL:
3. Mix flour + sugar + baking soda + salt.
4. Add egg + vanilla + butter and mix till well combined.
5. Mix in the oats.
6. With clean fingers or the back of a spoon, press half the oat mixture onto the pan.
7. Spread the jam over the filling.
8. Cover the top by crumbling the remaining oat mixture and gently flatten with the back of a spoon.
9. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
10. Leave to cool in the pan for at least an hour before cutting into bars.
PS: You can leave the jam out altogether if you prefer a less-sweetened version.
PPS: Alternatively, if you are feeling indulgent, you can replace the jam with chocolate ganache filling or nutella…making them extra-lethal, of course!
Written by Marite Irvine
http://happygokl.com/easy-snack-bakes-oatmeal-jam-bars/KL LivingbakingI am always on the look out for easy after-school snack ideas for my kids, both savoury and sweet. This one falls under sweet but, because of the oats, I feel I'm feeding my kids something a tad bit healthier than the go-to chocolate chip cookie (of course, I...Happy Go KL firstname.lastname@example.orgContributorHappy Go KL